Cubs Convention Attendees, Schedule Announced
The 34th Annual Cubs Convention will kick off this Friday at the Sheraton Grand Chicago and the Cubs recently released the list of attendees, along with some of the weekend’s activities. They have also released a very limited number of additional passes, which you can try to purchase for $125 apiece at the CubsCon landing page.
Rather than get into more details, I’ll just share the info as presented in a email from the team:
- Cubs Talk: Albert Almora Jr., Steve Cishek, Daniel Descalso and Ian Happ share stories and answer questions from fans.
- Cubs in Cooperstown: The National Baseball Hall of Fame will enshrine another Cub this summer as Lee Smith enters Cooperstown. Joining Lee for this panel discussion will be Hall of Famers Andre Dawson, Fergie Jenkins, Ryne Sandberg and Billy Williams.
- Off the Field: Cubs fans will hear from Cubs stars Carl Edwards Jr., Ian Happ, Jason Heyward and Pedro Strop as they talk about their interests off the field in a discussion geared toward our younger fans. Topics include music, fashion, art and more.
Interactive displays and activities:
- “Through My Eyes”: Ian Happ and artist Patrick Vale discuss their creative collaboration that brings a new perspective of Wrigley Field to fans. The unique artwork will be available for purchase with proceeds benefiting Cubs Charities.
- Cubs Trophy Room: In addition to snapping a selfie with the 2016 World Series Trophy and other Cubs memorabilia, Boeing and USO of Illinois will give fans a behind-the-scenes virtual reality tour of Wrigley Field before and during a Cubs home game.
- ATI Morning Stretch: Kids can get ready for a full day of Cubs activities with a morning stretch clinic led by ATI Physical Therapy on the turf field.
- High Speed Highlighting Catch, presented by Xfinity: Young Cubs fans can experience making a game-saving diving catch at Wrigley Field with this new activation.
- Chicago Artists Live Painting: Three prominent Chicago artists, Amuse126, Miss Merlot and Stuk One, will display their artistic style and ability. Fans will have the opportunity to purchase their artwork with proceeds benefiting Cubs Charities.
For fans unable to attend Cubs Convention, they can stream the following panels on Cubs social media:
- Opening Ceremony, Friday 6-7 p.m.
- Friday Night with Ryan Dempster, presented by Budweiser, Friday 7:30-10 p.m.
- In the Batter’s Box, presented by Wintrust, Saturday 11 a.m.-noon.
- Cubs in Cooperstown, Saturday 3-4 p.m.
Below is a list of all the attendees for the weekend, with a few notable exceptions. Addison Russell will not be there due to his being on the restricted list as he serves a 40-game domestic violence suspension. Anthony Rizzo has opted against the frigid Chicago temps in order to remain on his honeymoon, which I suppose is okay. Jon Lester is also missing, which is maybe a little interesting. Tyler Chatwood won’t cross the stage, marking the first time in his Cubs tenure that he hasn’t walked.
It doesn’t appear as though either Manny Machado or Bryce Harper will be making an appearance, but the Cubs still have a few days to make something work.