Cubs vs. White Sox – Series Preview (May 11-13): TV and Game Info, Pitching Matchups, Insights
After the disaster in St. Louis, the Cubs righted the ship a bit with a sweep of the Marlins. Even better, the offense roared to life scoring double digits in two of three games. Two struggling hitters, Anthony Rizzo and Addison Russell, hit for a lot of extra-base power against the Fish. Chicago now looks to keep the momentum going, hosting the cross-town White Sox for three.
It’s been a rough year for the rebuilding South Siders who are in dead last in the putrid AL Central. The main culprit for the 9-25 Sox has been the pitching. The team ERA is a hefty 5.25. The Sox offense is a bit more effective, with Jose Abreu lurking in the middle and slashing a respectable .271/.340/.488 with seven home runs.
The Cubs need to take advantage of the reeling Sox who have lost nine of ten. They took advantage of the last-place Marlins and need a similar effort against their last-place neighbors. Doing so will help to put the Northsiders slow start in the rearview mirror.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, May 11 at 1:20 pm CT on NBC Sports Chicago and MLB Network (Out of market)
- Saturday, May 12 at 1:20 pm CT on ABC-7
- Sunday, May 13 at 1:20 pm CT on WGN and MLB Network (Out of market)
What to Watch For
- Anthony Rizzo has climbed above the Mendoza line and is showing power. He had a homer and two doubles on Wednesday afternoon. Look to see if he can continue to build on this offensive momentum.
- Jon Lester and Kyle Hendricks have really been pitching well of late, which is helping to cover the slow starts of Yu Darvish and Jose Quintana. If that continues, the Cubs should have a shot at a sweep.
- Kris Bryant is having a power surge of late with three homers the last four games. It could be a long weekend for the Sox if Bryant continues to crush the ball.